Sometimes I find it hard to talk about what I love with people who don't understand. Call it selfish, impatient... but it's hard for someone to appreciate what you're talking about if they hadn't yet experienced it for themselves. Sure, people will ask questions, but when do they really want to know what you're recounting?
If you guys hadn't already guessed, I'm referring mostly to talking about Dance with people. Often when people happen be around when I'm reviewing videos, editing music, etc, they'd naturally start asking questions and commenting about it. Things like, "Dance is like your life sia." or "How many hours do you spend dancing?" But surprisingly after the conversations end, I'd feel a sense of embarrassment, as if I was misunderstood. At the point of explanation, I'd experience a sense of pride in talking about it, but after that I'll just feel kind of, patronised. Perhaps it's because deep down I know that, while they may be interested in what I do, they underestimate the weight of my words. Especially when it's shrugged off as a pastime. How does one, who does not dance, understand how dance can be like a life choice? It's a whole new realm. It's more than moving to the music. It's a metamorphosis of body and mind, it is growth of perception and strengthening of will. How do you really make someone relate to this?
Why do we devote so much time into this art? I guess the simplest answer is: It's fun. It makes us feel good about ourselves.
It gives us a purpose, whatever that purpose may be. Something tangible that which we can keep bettering ourselves in. Sometimes I wonder what people who have yet to find their passion do. Maybe it's just a different choice in living. But I don't really get it. Well, just because I don't understand something doesn't make it wrong. Perhaps they're used to free time and I'm just used to filling my schedule up.
Anyway, I think what I'm trying to get at is that curiosity does not translate to appreciation. And patronisation can look like appreciation but on afterthought it feels undermining. This isn't just about dance, but about any other forms of passion. It's something in the process of doing that makes the doer stronger, renewed. Perhaps people shouldn't shrug off activities as mere activities, but things that keep a person alive, bright. They're not simply pursuits that help others to classify our identities, but something that enriches our personalities.
No comments:
Post a Comment