Friday, August 10, 2012

Inspiration & Impact

Being a rather new instructor in the Dance industry, leaving my first job was somewhat a milestone. (not that getting it wasn't). I was rather sad to know that I wouldn't be able to see the CHIJ OLQP dancers anymore, to see their splits slowly get lower by the weeks, despite their noise and over the top comments, they're still very endearing and I will miss their unwittingly blatant comments :'( I feel very warmed when the girls are enthusiastic about dancing their item or when they actually hold their stretches with determination. Maybe they're doing it now out of fear but I hope in time to come they learn to persevere for themselves and no one else. Nevertheless, it makes me feel like there is a meaning and purpose to my job, which makes me want to push myself even more.


Well the main importance of the job aside, the politics of it has become very disappointing. Sometimes I feel like it's all just a business. Okay it probably is but it's so sad to see the art being marketed at the expense of the dancers themselves.



*Please note that this is only true in some cases and that there are many companies out there with the purest intention of true Dance education.


So, two things:
1. Companies underpaying dancers and instructors
2. Companies passing off half-past-six steps has legit technique for various genres

(haha six step)

The latter disturbs me more as the solution to the first one is simple: just don't take the job.

The usage of the the name of 'Hip Hop' seems very fluid especially when it comes to primary schools and is thrown around like a key to access such areas in the demand pool, as if making the promise that their students are going to learn the fundamentals of a very popular genre. Unfortunately this promise sometimes is not lived up to and what the unknowing students receive instead is an extremely watered down version of directionally variated steps verging on aerobics.

It's sad that on the receiving end, some students with the genuine interest to learn Dance are getting diluted adaptations of what they asked for, and don't even know it. I think it's solely in the hands of the instructor now to cater the bona fide material to the classroom and to have full confidence in the legitimacy of his/her substance. Kudos and respect to those I've worked with who's intentions encompass bringing back the authenticity of the genres the students are entitled to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment