Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Challenge Accepted.

With my near future kind of panned out in front of me now, in that I know where I'm going for uni already and what I'm going to study, it brings me back to a decision I made about a year and a half ago because the insecurity of not knowing the consequences is finally gone.

Many people asked me why I chose to take up DAPee (Developing Artiste Programme under Jitterbugs) the same year I was to take my A's. People told me I would die, having to take at least 8 classes per week on top of homework, SYF, Danceworks and rehearsals. Perhaps it looked so when half the time I was sleeping in class. (Heh). Well I found the perfect quote to explain my choice:

"We choose to go to the moon and these other things not because they are easy but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we’re willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone and one we intend to win."
- John F. Kennedy, upon issuing the moon-landing mission

That's the best and most appropriate way anyone has ever put it.

I learnt that if you really want something, you have the power to make it happen. Saying that something cannot be done will only be limiting yourself, an excuse not to try hard enough. Last year was my own living proof that I just need to believe in myself to not just get by, but be happy with what I've produced. Yes, it gets extremely tough, tiring and sometimes you question why the hell you work so hard. But last year, after each day of school, CJ Dance, then rushing to Jitterbugs for class till 11pm, when I finally get to shower, I felt as if I've maxed out my day and I used it well. I've fulfilled my role as a student and improved as a dancer each day. SYF Celestial 2010, when we worked our asses off; physical training, praying every day as a team, was also another event that made me realise that by wanting something hard enough (and of course translating that to an equal amount of hard work) you will reap victory. It's also a great reminder to keep all things God-centred because it is in Him that miracles happen.

"Chin up, and we'll drown a little slower."

I hope everyone believes in themselves, no matter what you're doing. Don't be worried because there's no need for it, you're just wasting emotions. Just be organised, face things as they come and you'll be surprised when the event you were worrying about was yesterday. If you meet with failure, just know that you weren't supposed to succeed in that because there's something better out there for you that will make you even happier. Maybe at that point it seems like that's what you really want, but sometimes what you want is misaligned with what you need, and getting what you actually need will satisfy your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment